Friday, April 20, 2012

Honey Castella


It's been quite sometimes since I was curious about this cake. And I was even more intrigue when my cousin who doesn't like cake took a course in making this cake. Hmmm this must be something good.

So I started to look for recipes that I could try, then I found out that many bloggers are also caught in this Castella's bug ^_^. When I saw Zoe from bakeforhappykids posted the Castella (I really admire her beautiful blog), I promised myself that I will try on the recipe.

And The Castella is just like everyone said a flavorfull and soft cake. I love it and have been baking it a few times.Mine is not a perfect one, but I'll practice more to make it right
Here's the recipe..try it you'll love it

Honey Castella
(Bee Ren - rotinrice Modified by Zoe - bakeforhappykids)

Ingredients
3 egg whites at room temperature
3 egg yolks at room temperature
50 g sugar
75 g bread flour, sifted
40 g honey diluted with 1 1/2 tbsp hot water

Method
Line a 10 cm x 22 cm loaf pan with aluminum foil followed by parchment paper. Preheat oven to 165°C
Beat egg whites in mixing bowl at high speed until slightly foamy. Add sugar in 3 batches until soft peaks form.
Add yolks one at a time at low speed until well combined. Add sifted bread flour and beat until just combined. Pour in honey mixture and continue to beat for 1 min.
Pour batter through a sieve into cake pan. Tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles. Smoothen the top of batter to remove any remaining bubbles.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 min or until top is evenly browned. Toothpick inserted into cake should come out clean. Remove pan from oven and drop it from a one foot height onto the counter to prevent shrinkage.
When cake is cool enough to handle, remove from pan. Peel off parchment paper and turn it upside down onto a fresh piece of parchment paper. Wrap with plastic wrap and leave overnight at fridge to preserve moisture in the cake and for flavor to develop.
To serve, cut off edges on three sides except the browned top with a very sharp knife. Cut into thick slices using a sawing motion and serve with a cup of tea.



Till We Meet Again

2 comments:

  1. Hello girl! Thanks for visiting my blog the other day! I bought a castella mould during my recent holidays in HK but I still don't dare to try making the cake because my basic skill isn't very good & want to do more homework b4 I make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by. You are so humble. I'm just a beginner and have learn a lot from your blog. ^_^

      Delete